top of page

Changing Your Name After Marriage

Here is a quick guide to changing your name in the state of Ohio:


Obtain a copy of your Marriage License from the courthouse. You will want to call first and be sure everything has been processed and to confirm if they send this automatically where you live. I ordered three copies, some will want one of the originals (will have a raised seal), some places will accept a copy (without the raised seal.)


You can do this in person or by mail, but not online. Check out this link to view, download, or print the SS-5 form. Take this form, your Marriage License, and proof of U.S. citizenship (your original birth certificate or passport) to your local Social Security Administration office. Please note that the Social Security office will NOT accept photo copies. It takes about 2 weeks to receive your new card.


To change the name on your passport you will need a Passport Amendment Application and your Marriage License. However, there are more minute details depending on whether or not you currently have a passport and how long ago it was issued. If your passport was issued over a year ago, you’ll need this form, your passport, a new passport photo, and your Marriage License. For passports issued less than a year ago, you’ll need the same documents, except this form instead. If you don’t have a passport, you’ll need to apply for one using this form, and bring your ID, a photocopy of your ID, your birth certificate, and a passport photo to the post office, court clerk, or other government office. Do not sign the form until an agent instructs you to in person.

Passports take around 4-8 weeks to process, so we recommend applying for a new passport AFTER your honeymoon. Book your honeymoon flights and accommodation in your maiden name so there is no confusion. Most airlines and countries will not let you board or enter if your passport and boarding pass names don’t match. For this reason many people wait to change their passport last and continue booking flights under their maiden name.


Once you receive your new Social Security Card, you will want to head to the BMV. We suggest getting the new "compliant" driver's license that allows you to fly domestically. According to the State of Ohio BMV website, you must provide proof of:

Full legal name (Birth Certificate and Marriage License)

Date of birth (Birth Certificate)

Legal presence in the US (Birth Certificate)

Social Security number (Social Security Card)

Ohio street address – TWO documents, from different sources, proving Ohio street address that are listed on the Acceptable Document List are required for proof of Ohio residency.

Proof of name change (Marriage License) - If you have had more than one marriage you will want to bring all marriage and divorce documentation.

You will have a new photo taken and there will be a fee for the new driver's license. It can take up to 28 days to receive your new license in the mail.


Bring your Marriage License and your new license to get a new debit card, credit card, checks, and update the name on your account. If you want to set up a joint account, this is a great time to do so, but you will both need to be present. Remember to change any bills you have on auto-pay to reflect your new debit card number.

Then you will want to call your credit cards to update your name with them.


Most additional name changes can be made with a phone call. Think:

Mail subscriptions


Voter Registration

Utilities and Bills


Health, Car, and Home Insurance

Social Media

and Employer Records

*This last one is especially important for payroll purposes!

**Please note, this process may vary and this is not legal advice, but meant to be a guide as you begin the process.**

Jess Cart Photo, Lindsay Dawn Photography, Abby Schafer Photography

101 views0 comments
bottom of page